Sunday 12 May 2013

April 2013


I have done 17 cycling commutes this month. So taking weekends into account that is very good; more than 2 in 3 commutes being on the bike. My total mileage for the month is 506, but this includes some leisure cycling too. I'm pleased with that.

At the beginning of the month, or more probably the end of last, the rail bridge over Rockingham Street – the cycle route around the Elephant & Castle roundabout - was blocked by a scaffold whilst bridge repairs are being carried out. This forced a dreadful detour/diversion around the Rockingham Estate, similar to the lack of consideration shown for an identical scaffolding situation under the road bridge over Surrey Canal towpath further south on my route. 

 
Rockingham Street

Surrey Canal


BUT just as I was beginning to formulate one of my letters to the council – miracle, two narrow but absolutely serviceable paths are opened up through the scaffolding one side for pedestrians and the other for cyclists. How good is that? Well done London Borough of Southwark – you have a long way to go to convince me of your competence; but it’s a start.

The incredibly long winter continued into the beginning of April; icy cold arctic winds sweeping down across the Steppes from the Pole has resulted in March being amongst the coldest on record. Summer cycling clothing lay neatly folded at home awaiting just a glimmer that something more seasonal was on the way. No signs of spring flowers, no green shoots on the shrubs and trees. Even the daffodils were still keeping cover.

In the second week in the month the weather at long last finally began to change. By the end of the month the long delayed spring at last began to break through – Joy.

Roll on Summer

1 comment:

  1. I can't think of anything worse than trying to commute into London first thing in the morning. I admire anyone who does it! But was quite nice to read that some boroughs are keen to help cyclists, .....I shall try not be be synical and think they only opened the paths because of pedestrians! I am sure they thought of cyclists too :-)

    ReplyDelete