Sunday 25 September 2011

My September Rides (week 37)

Helmet Survey...

...see what my stats reveal

This week I have been doing a small survey of helmet wearing in South East London between 6.40 - 7.25 am and during the return journey in the evening at whatever time it occurs: nothing scientific just a count of how many in each category as I make my way to and from work.

I think the only thing the results reveal is that I am capable of counting two sets of figures simultaneously and remembering them long enough to record them (mostly). Well perhaps a little more.

I always had a feeling that the majority of SE London cyclists wore helmets. That’s just the way it felt. So the actual numbers are interesting.

My ride to and from work as I have told you "ad nauseum" is along the quiet route. So the first comment I would make is that there are a lot of cyclists in my bit of South East London: Beckenham to Covent Garden but I stop/start counting at the New Kent Road, so this isn’t the whole picture.

I included all cyclists in my count provided they are actually riding their bike. Sitting stationary on the road at a traffic signal counts as riding, sitting stationary on the pavement waiting for a pedestrian light to change doesn’t. A bit arbitrary, but hey it’s my survey and my rules.

On Thursday morning I forgot to record the numbers. They were in line with the am count on each of the preceding days but I can’t recall exactly what they were so I’ve left them out. On Wednesday evening I had a late meeting and didn’t leave London until 9.30 pm.

Totals are:

• 9 surveys
• 182 wearing helmets
• 131 not wearing helmets
• On 7 of the surveys helmet wearers outnumbered non helmet wearers.

Wednesday evening was an anomaly because the survey was not during what could reasonably be thought of as commuting times.

There is potential for some double counting; if I came across the same cyclist twice and failed to remember whether or not I had already recorded him/her. But as this was just as likely to be a member of one group the other I have discounted it as insignificant.

What does it all mean? – At the moment I haven’t a clue but I shall think up something in due course and then you can all disagree vehemently – or not.

In the coming weeks I intend to extend my little survey and see if I can discover anything else interesting. The weather might be relevant. Other suggestions would be welcome.

This week I have been using a loan bike whilst the beast was in for a servicing. The beast is a Scott P4 and I generally find it a very good bike. Perhaps a bit on the big side for manoeuvring through tight commuter traffic. But it is good comfortable warhorse. My loan bike was a Scott Sub something. Lighter than the beast, it felt more responsive. The real plus was that it had hydraulic disc brakes; this was my first encounter with either hydraulics or discs and I have to say I was very impressed. These are definitely features I shall be looking for on any future purchase.

The servicing of the beast has cost me nearly £200. This included a new chain and cassette and two new tyres plus some cables. My record on bike maintenance is not very good! Still seems a lot of money.

I acquired the Beast through the cycle to work scheme and I have now finished paying the 12 instalments. To continue using the bike I was presented with 3 options.


1. Make a final payment of around £160 and own the bike outright.
2. Make a much lower payment of around £45 and continue using the bike for up to 3 years when it will become mine at no further cost to me.
3. Return it.

I took option 2.

Finally my stats:

Rides this week: 5
Rides per week: 3.4
Public transport days: 0
Commuting miles this week: 116.75
Annual Commuting miles: 3090

Rides per week is 3.4 – fantastic!

TyT 5012

No comments:

Post a Comment